Friday, November 24, 2006

Interesting research



I happened to come across research online about the effect on body weight by the US holiday Thanksgiving. Titled The effect of the Thanksgiving Holiday on weight gain by Hull, Radley etc, in the online magazine Nutrition Journal, the address is here. As expected, people put on weight. What I didn't expect was that some people didn't put on weight. The graph above, taken from the paper, shows that the bigger a person is, the more weight that they put on. It also shows that some people actually lost weight over the 1-2 weeks between weighings.

The question is: is this relevant to me? I posted a list of 'off' days recently, where I was allowed to eat what I wanted. Based on the recent time-off period where I went to a wedding, the increase in weight effect I am still trying to get rid of, it seems to be that maybe if I ate normally in these times, I'd finish my weight loss maybe a month earlier. That is definitely worth considering.

I suppose it is hard for me to get away from the old mindset of eating lots of yummy food on my birthday and Christmas day. Ok, that's alright but there are other days there as well.

No comments: