Sunday, October 15, 2006

99 days - I'm fed up with counting kilojoules

Yes, it's been a while. That's because I've had 2 assignments in my course that needed a lot of attention. So I've put on a bit of weight. Because my course came first, that wasn't really a problem. Now I'm back into the dieting thing.

About 2 weeks ago, I got totally fed up with counting kilojoules. I was constantly thinking about food, because I had to know exactly what I was eating, the weight of it and making sure that I didn't forget anything. Total pain.

The solution was simple, I've known about it for ages, but deferred trying it because it wasn't as useful as the normal method. Rather than count kilojoules of food that I've eaten, I count kilojoules of food that I buy. That means that it's a lot easier to keep records, but less feedback. For each day, I don't know exactly how much energy I've eaten.

So to solve that problem, I use an estimate of how much I've eaten based on what I've bought recently. A 2kg bag of apples might last 6 days, so I divide the energy of the apples over the 6 days. Similarly for other food, ie veges last a shorter time so the period of division is shorter. So everything I buy is divided up into a number of days so I roughly know what value of energy I'm eating.

So that's me for now. I've put on weight, but it's too early to see my exact weight, I need to have a few days of readings first.

Food bought or eaten today: (kilojoules)

Bought:

19071 kj total
Special K 936
Cabbage halves 1150
Salada biscuits 2250
Coffee 500
Apples 3kg 6540
Carrots 1.5kg 2295
Spinach 400
Frozen Veges 3380
Whey powder 1500
Fancy biscuit 120

Eaten:

7193 kj total
Special K 936
Whey powder 1500
Coffee 500 est
Apples 1308 1 of 5
Salada biscuits 750 1 of 3
Cabbage 575 1 of 2
Carrots 459 1 of 5
Spinach 200 1 of 2
Frozen veges 845 1 of 4
Fancy biscuit 120

today was a bit high in terms of energy, I'm looking at 6000-6500kj average.

Oh by the way, last night I went to a barbeque with my girlfriends family. I wasn't looking forward to it, for obvious reasons. Lots of food being offered, and feeling 'obligated' to eat something. Well, before we went I did eat something. Whey powder and an apple. That kept me full, and so at the barbeque I ate only cabbage. That's right. So I turned down beer, wine, chips, sausages, chicken on a long stick, slabs of meat of some description, pasta, bread, salad with lots of fatty dressing no doubt. I probably ate about 500kj, there was something on the cabbage but it didn't seem fatty to taste. What is surprising was that it was cold, and we were outside, so why the cold didn't stimulate my appetite, I don't know.

On the topic of going out when on a diet, if someone says "you don't need to go on a diet". What do you say? "Thanks". Then SHUT UP. Similarly, what do you say when someone says "why are you on a diet?". "Why not?". Put the pressure on them to reply to your question.

Similarly, if someone says why they are on a diet I try to remind myself to say "you don't need to justify why you're on a diet". Someone did that to me about 7 years ago, one of the most flattering and memorable things someone has said.

No comments: