Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Lollies galore!



(For those not living in Australasia, lollies mean confectionary).

I don't know if I have said this before on this blog, but I should say something about my girlfriend Becky. She eats a lot of junk food. Sweets, chocolate, chips, fatty fried food, you name it, she eats it. Since she spends most of her time at my place now, that means that I am surrounded by tasty treats that are very tempting, and sometimes they are too tempting, and I end up sampling her latest bagful of lollies. As you can imagine, this is not good for my weight loss (yes, her health as well, but let's not go there...) as once I have a few nibbles of what she's just bought I often just can't stop myself (sugar addiction?) and grab a handful of what there is, only to come back a minute later for another handful.

Anyway, this happened quite a bit yesterday, I realised that I had been going well on the old weight loss thing, and Becky's treats came calling, I just couldn't resist. I'd broken the old no sugar a few days earlier (I'd gone 6 days which wasn't too bad), was trying to get back into it, then this happened. I don't blame her, of course, but the situation isn't ideal.

To top it off, I had one of those weird, all sorts of concepts dreams, where you dream about this and that, whatever is on your mind. Anyway, in the dream I opened a box at my parents place, and what did I see? A lollie. Immediately, I scoffed it down in less than a few seconds.

It does show that I am a fast eater. I wish I wasn't, I suppose I've trained myself to be this way, but the fact that I'd dreamt about it made a clear that I was that way.

I was reminded of the television show The Biggest Loser where they had jars and jars of their favourite lollies to tempt them. Were they tempted? No. I wished that I was like that.

So I decided to do something about it, I got some money and headed out to the local supermarket to buy some sweets, enough to fill a 2 litre water container. I glued the lid down, and the container of lollies is now sitting proudly right next to the container of money. As time progresses, the container of money will fill up next to the container of sweets.

The basic idea is to remind myself that

1) I am trying to lose weight
2) I need self control in this department
3) I can eat this when I've finished the weight loss

So that is something new. I'm hoping that it will be useful and remind me that I'm meant to be in a journey of learning self control and how to lose weight easily.

So what happens if I break open the container (unlikely, but you never know)? I promise to donate $20 to the ACT, a right wing political party here in New Zealand that I despise.

I'm hoping that these reminders (the money container and the sweets container) will remind me that I should be losing weight, avoiding fatty, sugary food and looking after myself.

4 comments:

JOY said...

What a great incentive!

Your girlfriend should be more supportive and not leave the temptations sitting around and eat them in private!

We all give into temptation now and again - the key thing is not to dwell on it and move on as you seem to have done.

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, the lure of SugarCrack.

Does "lollies" cover most sweets or is a specific sweet?

Best of luck with staring at that huge jug of candy. Myself, I would have that lid pealed off in NO time:)

Cory said...

Best of luck with that! I hate to hear that your girl brings around all the temptation, but that's part of life. My husband does the same thing.

Good luck with your new idea. I can't wait to hear how it goes. I think that donation penalty should help you. One of those would certianly keep me in line, and I'll have to remember that should I need a tough motivation helper in the future!

jeannie* said...

Thats a great idea! And I was cracking up how if you open it youll have to donat 25 bucks to a right wing political party... AWESOME!